Monday, July 5, 2010

Taking a Photograph to the Next Level: Post-Production

There are a lot of things that can be done at the time of capture to make a great photograph; from depth of field and shutter speed to the location and lighting used.  The end result is what you see in the picture to the left.  No, it's not bad by any means, but that doesn't mean a little post-production TLC couldn't make it better.  If it was practical to retouch every photograph I took I probably would; but that would mean I didn't have a life away from my desk, or time to actually take pictures.  

Click on each image to see a slightly larger version

So what did I do to the photograph on the right? The most obvious thing is the selective-focus effect.  Although it's fairly subtle it is still effective in focusing your eye on the bride and groom.  Besides that I applied a slight vignette, brought out the sky a touch, toned down the red dress and gave everything a subtle pop.  Oh, and I also took out a leaf from the foreground.

Remember the small details for they are what make a good photograph great.
Thanks for looking!
Robert Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment